Tenants Insurance

Get 5 Star rated contents cover to protect your belongings



What is tenants insurance?

When you’re renting, home insurance is probably the last thing you think about. Although you may not own the home you live in, you probably own a lot of stuff.

Be it that expensive games console, or that chic designer handbag you got for your birthday. Either way it could cost a lot to replace those things if they were damaged – for example by a large water leak, or if they were stolen.

Do renters need tenants contents insurance?

Tenants insurance is pretty much the same as a usual contents insurance policy. In fact Sheilas’ Wheels Contents Insurance is designed to cover all sorts of things that renters could find useful, such as tenants liability, and home removal cover.

What our contents insurance wouldn’t cover is anything owned by your landlord, such as their furniture or anything structural in the property. This would also include any item on the inventory list that you may have received from your landlord or letting agent.

What Sheilas’ Wheels Contents Insurance offers renters?

When choosing home contents insurance, for tenants you get:

New for old contents cover - No shabby substitutes, we'll replace all covered items as new

Alternative Accommodation cover - Up to £10,000 towards accommodation and storage

Professional removal cover - Existing Contents Insurance will cover your Contents Sum insured when moving home

Tenants liability cover - Up to £10,000 (includes landlord disputes)

Fridge/freezer contents cover - Up to £1,000 on an impromptu food shop

Personal money - Up to £750 of you total sum insured to cover lost or stolen cash

If any of your possessions cost more than £1,500 to buy as new, or you have a pedal cycle and accessories that costs more than £500 as new, you need to have these listed as Specified Items. 


What events am I covered for?

If any of your belongings are damaged and you want to make a claim the damaged has to be covered by what we call an ‘insured event’. Some of the events we cover are:

  • Fire
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Storm/flood
  • Explosion
  • Damage caused as a result of water leaks
  • Impact


What’s not covered by Sheilas’ Wheels?

  • If your pets decide to treat your sofa as a scratch post, we can’t cover the damage
  • Overtime the sun can bleach certain fabrics, you might find one day the rich hue of your red sofa has dulled leaving it looking a little faded–because this type of damage is classed as wear and tear you can’t make a claim
  • If you have paying guests or have any subletting tenants, anything they break or damage won’t be covered. Subletting your rooms could also void your insurance policy with us
  • If you have employed a professional cleaner to get your house into shape before your inspection, anything they break won’t be protected by your policy as they would be liable for this damage


Please refer to the policy booklet for more information on all the events we do and don’t cover.



What is tenants liability cover?

While living as tenants, contents insurance could not only just cover your possessions, but also your liability. Liability cover aims to provide you with legal cover, should your landlord want to take you to court.

The types of things your landlord could take you to court for, could be a dispute about paying to replace something accidently broken on the inventory list, or any accidental damage to the building.

Fortunately with Sheilas’ Wheels contents insurance, tenants liability cover is included up to £10,000.


Does renters insurance cover shared accommodation?

If you live in a house share, unfortunately you won’t be able to get cover with us. But if in the future you’d like to choose our contents insurance, you’d need to rent the entire property, and live with either your partner or family.


I’m moving house can I transfer my insurance?

As long as your new home can be covered by us, just call our customer service helpline. For an additional fee they’ll update your policy details over the phone.

For many renters, insurance flexibility is very important, and at Sheilas’ Wheels we understand it’s necessary you have a policy that can be moved with you.

Enhance your cover

Family Legal Protection

Up to £50,000 of legal costs cover and access to expert lawyers. Events covered include personal injury, employment tribunals, jury cover, and more.

If you ever use Family Legal Protection your No Claim Discount won’t be affected.

Home Emergency Cover

24/7 emergency phone number, we’ll also organise the out-of-hours tradesman.

Call-out charge, labour cost, parts and materials to a limit of £500 (including VAT), are covered by Sheilas’ Wheels.

If you do need to make a call out, No Claim Discount won’t be affected.

Perosnal Possessions

Personal Possessions

Get your belongings protected when you take them out of the home, this includes items like jewellery, phones, tablets, and other valuables you have with you while on the move.

Pest Cover

Pest Cover

Infestations are just plain awful. Get pest cover so you don’t have to deal with the hassle. We cover exterminations up to £200 for bedbugs, and up to £150 for wasps, hornet nests, mice, rats, and squirrels.

If you ever your pest cover, your No Claim Discount won’t be affected.



Annual Travel Insurance

Worldwide cover, and a 24/7 emergency helpline. So wherever you are Sheilas’ Wheels are just at the other end of the phone. Flexible cover options are available.