Over 80s Home Insurance


Over 80s Home Insurance


You've probably made many memories in your home, it could be the place where your children grew up, or was somewhere new you bought for your retirement. You might have also spent a lot of money on the upkeep of your home decorating and making alterations. For these reasons you might be thinking about the level of home cover you have now, and if it is meeting your needs.

Will the price of my insurance change if I move to be nearer family and friends?

This all depends on the type of property you’re moving too, and the location. It’s definitely worth going over any properties you want to move to in detail, so you can get an idea of how much it would cost to insure (or if any expensive repairs need to be carried out). If you’re moving into a warden-controlled property, buildings insurance might be managed by the retirement complex, but you should check just to make sure. Retirement complexes probably wouldn’t have contents insurance in place to protect your belongings, so you could transfer your existing contents policy over, for an additional fee.


I’ve recently adapted my house, will this affect my insurance policy?

We cover most adaptations, as these would be classed as the fixtures and fittings of your home. If you’ve recently had a stairlift fitted that would be covered and falls under your buildings insurance policy. If you’re unsure if some of your adaptations are covered please read our policy booklet


What’s the difference between buildings and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the structural aspects of your property, such as the roof, floors, ceilings and walls. It also includes fittings such as your kitchen and bathroom suite, if they become damaged by an insured event.

Contents insurance covers your personal belongings and any soft furnishing in your home, like your carpets and curtains. Even if you’re renting, contents insurance might be something to consider if you have furniture and other items that could be pricey to replace if the worst were to happen.

Trying to work out if something in your home is covered by buildings or contents insurance? A good rule of thumb is to think of your house being turned upside down, anything that falls out would be covered by contents insurance, and the stuff that stayed put would likely come under buildings insurance.


What does over 80s home insurance look like with Sheilas’ Wheels? - Contents Insurance


  • New for old content cover - no shabby substitutes, we'll replace all covered items as new
  • Garden contents - up to £2,000 to cover you for things like pinched potted plants, tools and furniture
  • Personal money - up to £750 of you total sum insured to cover lost or stolen cash
  • Special Events cover - We'll automatically raise your contents cover for up to four weeks before and after a special event, such as religious festivals (up to 15% extra cover) and weddings/births (up to 10% extra cover)
  • Freezer and fridge contents - up to £1,000 for an impromptu grocery shop if your fridge or freezer breaks

Limits may apply, please check our policy booklet.



What does over 80s home insurance look like with Sheilas’ Wheels? - Buildings Insurance


  • Unlimited buildings cover - so you don’t have to worry about being underinsured
  • Alternative accommodation cover - up to £75,000
  • Fixtures and fittings - from kitchens to bathrooms we aim to cover all your fitted suites if they are damaged by an insured event
  • External door locks - up to £1,000, if your keys are lost or stolen you'll be covered for the cost of replacing them and installing locks on any external doors

Limits may apply, please check our policy booklet.



Can I buy extra cover for my home?


We like to give our customers the choice of enhancing their cover if they want to with our Optional Extras. At the moment the extra cover you can buy includes:

Pest Cover – we cover exterminations up to £150 for mice, rats, and grey squirrels. Visit our pest cover page for more information.

Home Emergency Cover – no more ringing around for out of hours contractors when home emergencies happen, make one call and we’ll aim to get your problem sorted as soon as possible. Your No Claim Discount will be unaffected. For more information please read our home emergency cover page.

Family Legal Protection – legal cover for up to £50,000 (up to £10,000 for employment disputes) for the whole family, plus you get exclusive access to a 24/7 legal advice line For more information please read our family legal protection page.

To find out more about what we cover please read the policy booklet.


Optional Extras

Family Legal Protection
Home Emergency Cover
  • Access to expert lawyers with up to £50,000 legal costs covered for you and your family
  • No Claim Discount not affected
  • One call to us and we’ll arrange for a contractor to visit your home and carry out the emergency repairs. Call-out charge, labour cost, parts and materials to a limit of £500 (including VAT) subject to a £25 excess