Buildings Insurance

Defaqto 5 Stars Home Buildings Insurance 2014 to 2024 EXPERT RATED

What is buildings insurance? 

If you’re about to buy your first home, buildings insurance has more than likely cropped up when speaking with your mortgage advisor. This type of home insurance covers the structural aspects of your home such as the walls, ceilings, windows, fitted kitchen and bathroom – the list goes on. If something damages the integral structure of your home, such as a flood or subsidence, buildings insurance is designed to protect you against paying a hefty repair bill.

Buildings insurance is usually a requirement when paying a mortgage as the lender would want to protect the investment they have in your home if any catastrophic damage were to happen.

If you’re thinking ‘how much is buildings insurance?’ the quickest way to find out would be to get an online buildings insurance quote. Of course the prices can vary between insurers and depends on the type of home you’re insuring.


What does buildings insurance cover with Sheilas’ Wheels?

The biggest investment you’ve ever made is probably your home, and buildings insurance is designed to give you security in case of extensive damage. Repair bills for fixing structural defects can cost tens of thousands of pounds, so it’s important you find cover that’s right for you. With Sheilas’ Wheels our buildings cover includes:

  • Unlimited buildings cover, we'll cover the cost of rebuilding!
  • Unlimited cover for fixtures and fittings - we will replace sanitary fixtures or ceramic hobs if they get accidentally damaged
  • Unlimited cover for damage caused by frozen and/or burst pipes
  • Up to £1,000 if your keys are lost or stolen, you'll be covered for the cost of replacing them and installing locks on any external doors
  • Up to £75,000 for alternative accommodation for you and anyone else in your home... including your pets!

What events am I covered for?

If any of your home is damaged and you want to make a claim, the damage has to be covered by what we call an ‘insured event’. Some of the events we cover are:

  • Fire
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Storm/flood
  • Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Subsidence and heave
  • Burst pipes/escape of water
  • Impact


Please refer to the policy booklet for more information on all the events we cover.

Enhance your cover


Family Legal

Family Legal Protection from Sheilas' Wheels

Up to £50,000 of legal costs cover (up to £10,000 for employment disputes) and access to expert lawyers. Events covered include personal injury, employment tribunals, jury cover, and more.

If you ever use Family Legal Protection your No Claim Discount won't be affected.


Home Emergency Cover

Home Emergency Cover from Sheilas' Wheels

24/7 emergency phone number, we'll also organise the out-of-hours tradesman.

Call-out charge, labour cost, parts and materials to a limit of £500 including VAT (subject to a £25 excess) are covered by Sheilas' Wheels.

If you do need to make a call out, No Claim Discount won't be affected.


Personal Possessions

Personal Possessions cover from Sheilas' Wheels

For an additional fee you are covered for accidental loss, damage and theft of your personal possessions while they are temporarily removed from your home anywhere in the United Kingdom, and for up to 60 consecutive days anywhere in the rest of the world.


Pest Cover

Pest Cover from Sheilas' Wheels

Infestations are just plain awful. Get Pest Cover so you don't have to deal with the hassle. We cover exterminations up to £200 for bedbugs, and up to £150 for wasps, hornet nests, mice, rats, and squirrels.



Do I need to buy both buildings and contents insurance?

This is a tricky one to answer as it all depends on the level of cover you think you need. When buying buildings and contents insurance together you get all-round cover for the structural aspect of your home – plus your possessions including your jewellery, and appliances such as your oven.