We understand this year has brought new challenges to us all, and for some of us this may include facing unexpected financial difficulties. Our priority is being there for our customers who are now facing these issues, so we want to make sure you know about the support we can offer you.
Working from home
If you have home insurance with us and are now doing general office work from home, you don’t need to let us know and your cover will continue as normal unless you:
• have visitors to your home related to your work
• make or sell goods from your home or you store stock of these at your home
• have adapted your home i.e. using an outbuilding as your home office or undertaking renovation works
• have acquired new business equipment that belongs to you. Cover for any business equipment will usually be the employer’s responsibility but check with your employer if unsure
• have established, or are planning to establish, a business which is registered from your home address during the pandemic, or have moved the running of your business to your home premises
If you do need to let us know, you can do this via our Live Chat team on our website
If you need to take a temporary break from making your payments, you may be able to defer your future payments. You won’t need to pay any additional charges to do this, but you will need to agree to a new payment schedule.
Please don’t cancel any payments without speaking to us – if you do miss a payment, it could affect your cover – so please contact us and we will do what we can to help.
Depending on your circumstances, if you need to make a change or cancel your policy during this crisis as a result of Covid-19 we may not charge you administration fees to do this, as we understand this is a challenging time.
Suspend your car insurance
If you’re not using your car at all at the moment, you can suspend your cover and any optional extras until you need to get back on the road, subject to the following conditions:
• You’ve not had a fault claim in this policy year
• Your car is registered off the road as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) with the DVLA.
You can either suspend your cover completely, or keep your car protected against fire and theft only. It’s important to remember that if you suspend your cover completely, while your car is off the road it will no longer be covered for things such as fire or if it gets stolen, so please think carefully before choosing this option. If you decide to reduce your cover to just fire and theft cover, you will not be insured to drive your car, so make sure you won’t need to use it before you do this.
Depending on your payment method, monthly payments can be immediately amended, and if you pay annually we will arrange a refund for the difference in premium. If this sounds like a good option for you, give us a call and we can discuss the full terms and conditions.
Give us a call on: 0345 045 2000
Reduce your mileage
The changes in our daily lives as a result of Covid-19 may have meant you’ve found yourself using your car differently during this time, so if you’ve found you’re driving less why not find out if we can help you by giving you some money back on your car insurance.
To find out if you’re eligible for a partial refund on your cover, for up to a 12 week period, contact us by completing this form.
How to fill in the form
• Select ‘Other Query’ in the ‘Subject’ box
• Fill in your name and policy details
• In the ‘Your questions/request section let us know the number of weeks your mileage has reduced for (maximum 12 weeks)
We will be in contact within 14 working days to let you know whether you’re eligible for a refund. Don’t forget we won’t charge you any administration fees to make these changes either.
Looking for advice?
National Debtline, if you live in England, Wales or Scotland: 0808 808 4000 or nationaldebtline.co.uk
Money Advice Service, free unbiased information and advice: 0800 138 7777 or moneyadviceservice.org.uk
0141 572 0237 or moneyadvicescotland.org.uk
Citizens Advice Bureau, free impartial advice: 0344 411 1444 or citizensadvice.org.uk, or citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/