European Car Insurance

What is European car insurance?   

Sometimes it’s cheaper to take your car with you for short trips to Europe and less hassle than hiring another car. European car insurance covers you for the time you spend abroad in some European countries with your car.

Before I take my car to Europe, what do I have to do?

The level of cover you receive when taking your car to Europe can differ between insurers, and it’s important you check your policy document to see the level of cover your insurer will give you. But it’s important to also:

  • Check if you need a Green Card

    UK drivers don’t have to carry Green Cards when driving in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, and Switzerland.

  • Check the laws of the country you’re driving in

    In France for example you could be fined for not having a high visibility vest, as well as other equipment in your car!

  • Familiarise yourself with the road signs of where you’re travelling to

    It might sound obvious, but you’ll find your journey much less stressful if you don’t have to guess the road signs.

What can Sheilas’ Wheels temporary European car insurance offer me?

The great news is that we automatically give you European car insurance which lasts for 90 days and is the same cover you would have in the UK, absolutely free when you’re driving in any country in the EU. It covers any additional driver on your policy too, so you can share the driving.
Our European car insurance also includes if you’re driving in Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

Top tips for when you’re away

  • Making a claim when abroad is stressful enough on its own. So we recommend you note down an emergency claims number, so it’s easy to find if you need it.
  • Keep your Certificate of Motor Insurance safe as well as your driving licence and vehicle log book. Remember to check other rules for each country you plan to visit as in some countries you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP), which you can apply for at your local post office. Find out more here.

You should also take:

  • V5C certificate (vehicle logbook)
  • Proof of ID (Passport or picture driving licence)
  • Travel insurance documents
  • Policy number for emergency claims in Europe
  • For more information on driving in the EU, find out more here.